EME 2040 Blog Journal #9

     Distance learning this semester has been a different experience for me this this semester. I say this because it is different from the last two years because I have in person classes as well as fully online classes this semester, so I have a mixed experience. I like that my online class allows for me to make my own schedule. For example, if I am overwhelmed in one course, since my online class has more freedom around scheduling, I can take a break if needed and reevaluate my schedule to prioritize my metal health. One thing as a future teacher I can do to help distance learners within my classroom is really prioitze their mental health. Distance learning can be tough for a lot of people, so I feel as though mental health of students needs to be a priority in order for the school year to go as smooth as possible. Ways in which I could help students maintain good mental health is by conducting weekly check-ins, allowing for a felixible schedule, as well as being as open-minded as possible.

    This week we touched on Open Education Resources. Open education resources (OER) are sources for teacher and students that can be accessed for free as well as ensure that the material that is being taught is accurate and relevant. Khan Academy is an example of a very well known OER. Both learners and educators are able to benefit from this website. Eduators are able to use the educational practice lecture videos within the classroom, while students can use the practice questions and mini games to further their knowledge on the particular lesson.

link to Khan Academy

    When working on the first powerpoint project, I learned a lot more than I was expecting to. Growing up I have had a decent amount of experience with Mircosoft PowerPoint since elementary school so I thought I knew everything needed in order to create a powerpoint presentation that is well put together. However, while working on these projects I have learned things such as creating my own slide layout (which is pictured in the screenshot) as well as take notes and record audio over my presentation. Overall, I really enjoyed this assignment because I allows me to explore creative freedom while also providing students with material that is resourceful and engaging to them.



Comments